Sunday 27 August 2006
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to London Bridge by Fergie.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
The Lives of Others, directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People by Dav Pilke was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 2006!
Which were the important events of 27 August 2006 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 27 August
- Comair Flight 5191 crashes on takeoff from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky bound for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia. Of the passengers and crew, 49 of 50 are confirmed dead in the hours following the crash.
- 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict:
- Israel denies that a German-mediated prisoner exchange with Hezbollah is to take place within two or three weeks, as reported earlier in Egyptian state-run daily Al-Ahram. (AFP via Al Nahar)
- Four children have been hurt after playing with an unexploded Israeli cluster bomb in southern Lebanon. (Al Jazeera)
- The Games Convention, the largest video game expo on both sides of the Atlantic closes with a record attendance of 183,000 visitors in 4 days of exhibiting. The projected attendance was set at 150,000. There are expansion plans of the expo for 2007 and beyond. MDR (German)
- Iran test-fires a Sagheb missile during exercises in the Persian Gulf. (TVNZ)
- Hurricane Ernesto becomes the first hurricane of the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season. Jeb Bush later declares a state of emergency due to its possible impact on Florida later in the week. (Associated Press)
- At least seven people die in blasts in the Iraqi capital Baghdad, as a security clampdown continues. (BBC NEWS)
- Two Fox News Channel journalists are released after being held hostage for two weeks in the Gaza Strip. Steve Centanni and Olaf Wiig were earlier claimed to have been forced by their captors to convert to Islam. (Al Jazeera)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 27 August 2006 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?