Wednesday 31 December 2008
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) by Beyonce.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, directed by David Fincher, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 December 2008!
Which were the important events of 31 December 2008 ?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 31 December
- Donald E Westlake: American author (Born 1933).
- U.S. crude oil price rises 14 percent on the final trading day of 2008, with February futures settling up US$5.57 to $44.60 per barrel.
- An extra leap second (23:59:60) is added to end the year. The last time this occurred was in 2005.
- Several bombs and further threats by a disgruntled resident lead police to evacuate downtown Aspen, Colorado, United States. (''New York Times'')
- Israel rejects a proposed stoppage of Operation Cast Lead that would also have ceased rocket attacks from Hamas so humanitarian aid could be delivered to affected areas in the Gaza Strip. (Bloomberg)
- A car bomb explodes in Bilbao, Spain, and is blamed on Euskadi Ta Askatasuna, a Basque nationalist and separatist organisation. (CNN)
- One of the world's biggest accumulations of dinosaur fossils is found near Zhucheng, China. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 31 December 2008 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?