Monday 1 April 1929US date format: 4/1/1929, UK date format: 1/4/1929
It was Monday, under the sign of Aries (see planets position on April 1, 1929). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Milan Kundera and Marcel Amont.
Finis terrae, directed by Jean Epstein, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 April 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1929!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1929 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- Milan Kundera: The Czech Republic's most recognized living writer.
- Marcel Amont: French singer-actor, TV presenter, sportsman, and author.
- Jane Powell: American actress and singer, a Hollywood perennial ingénue of the '40s musicals.
- Michel Debatisse: French agriculturalist and government employee.
- Payut Ngaokrachang: Thai animator and director (d. 2010).
- Jonathan Haze: American actor producer screenwriter and production manager.
- Barbara Bryne: English-American actress.
- Bo Schembechler: American athlete; head coach of the University of Michigan Wolverines and a noted motivational speaker.
- Morehouse College, Spelman College and Atlanta University affiliate to form Atlanta University Center.
- Louie Marx introduces Yo-Yo.
- Austrian government of Ignaz Seipel falls.