Saturday 1 March 1913
It was Saturday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Helmut Erich Robert Gernsheim and Ralph Ellison.
Hiawatha, directed by Hilde Hadges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1913
while The Inside of the Cup by Winston Churchill was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1913!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1913 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Helmut Erich Robert Gernsheim: Photogrpaher / collector.
- Ralph Ellison: American writer (d. 1994).
- Manuel Gonzalez Pato: Puerto Rican educator, writer and athlete who served in the US Armed Forces during World War II, where he reached the rank of second lieutenant.
- 1st state law requiring bonding of officers and state employees, North Dakota
- Federal income tax takes effect (16th amendment)
- US Federal income tax takes effect (16th amendment).
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1913 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- A Little Girl at Home - Harry Macdonough & Marguerite Dunlap
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?