Friday 1 May 1908
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Giovanni Guareschi and Simone Lahaye.
The Robber's Sweetheart, directed by Viggo Larsen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
while The Trail of the Lonesome Pine by John Fox, Jr. was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1908 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Giovanni Guareschi: Italian journalist, cartoonist and humorist whose most famous creation is the priest Don Camillo.
- Simone Lahaye: Vouziers Writer.
- Giovannino Guareschi: Italian journalist and author (d. 1968).
- Morris Kline: American mathematician and academic (d. 1992).
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1908 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- I've Got a Tickling Sensation 'Round My Heart for You - Bob Roberts
- I'm Looking for the Man That Wrote the Merry Widow Waltz - Billy Murray
- One Sweet Little girl - Harry Macdonough
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?