Sunday January 06, 1957, Epiphany
US date format: 1/6/1957, UK date format: 6/1/1957
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn (see birth chart on January 6, 1957). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Sir Anthony Eden (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Nancy Lopez and Nancy Lopez.
In UK Singing The Blues by Tommy Steele & The Steelmen was in the top 5 hits.
Written on the Wind, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while These Thousand Hills by A.B. Guthrie Jr was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Other Man.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of January 06, 1957?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- See more
- Elvis Presley makes his 7th and final appearance on Ed Sullivan Show
- Elvis Presley appears on ''The Ed Sullivan Show'' for the 3rd and final time. He is only shown from the waist up, even during the gospel segment, singing quotPeace In The Valleyquot. Ed Sullivan describes Elvis thus: quotThis is a real decent, fine boy. We've never had a pleasanter experience on our show with a big name than we've had with you. You're thoroughly all right.quot
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 06, 1957?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #6 songs in the USA
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Harry Belafonte - Mary's Boy Child
- Tommy Steele & The Steelmen - Singing The Blues
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- Johnny Otis & His Orchestra With Marie Adams - Ma He's Making Eyes At Me
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Malcolm Vaughan - My Special Angel
- Malcolm Vaughan - St Therese Of The Roses
- Paul Anka - I Love You Baby
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next January 06If January 06, 1957 is your birthday you're 63 years, 7 months, 1 day old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 4 months, 30 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free