Sunday 6 January 1957, Epiphany
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include C Michael Foale and Nancy Lopez Knight in Torrance.
In UK Singing The Blues by Tommy Steele & The Steelmen was in the top 5 hits.
The Wrong Man, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Whirlybirds.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 January 1957!
Which were the important events of 6 January 1957 ?
- Epiphany (National Holiday) in Italy
- Christianity (except Eastern and Oriental Orthodox who follow the Julian Calendar) - Epiphany of the Lord (a.k.a. "Twelfth Day of Christmas" and Three Kings Day in some areas).
- In the Irish Calendar- Little Christmas or Nollaig na mBan (Women's Christmas) and/or Twelfth Day.
- Twelfth Night, or The Lord of Misrule
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the ceremonial birthday of Haile Selassie
- Ancient Latvia - Zvaigznes Diena observed
- Armenian Christmas (except in the Holy Land where it's on January 18th - old calendar)
- C Michael Foale: Louth, England -- Astronaut (STS 45, 56, 63, 84 / 86).
- Nancy Lopez Knight in Torrance: California, USA; pro golfer (1988 Mazda, 1981 Dinah Shore).
- Nancy Lopez: American golfer and entrepreneur, a Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) Hall of Fame member and a world class athlete, the winner of countless championships.
- Michael Foale: British-American astrophysicist and astronaut.
- Elvis Presley makes his 7th and final appearance on Ed Sullivan Show
- Elvis Presley appears on ''The Ed Sullivan Show'' for the 3rd and final time. He is only shown from the waist up, even during the gospel segment, singing quotPeace In The Valleyquot. Ed Sullivan describes Elvis thus: quotThis is a real decent, fine boy. We've never had a pleasanter experience on our show with a big name than we've had with you. You're thoroughly all right.quot
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 January 1957
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1957 ?
Top #6 songs in the USA
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Tommy Steele & The Steelmen - Singing The Blues
- Harry Belafonte - Mary's Boy Child
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Johnny Otis & His Orchestra With Marie Adams - Ma He's Making Eyes At Me
- St Therese Of The Roses - Malcolm Vaughan
- Malcolm Vaughan - My Special Angel
- Paul Anka - I Love You Baby
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?