Saturday 11 August 1945
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Daniel Beysens and Salvatore Di Masi.
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, directed by Robert Siodmak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
while Cass Timberlane by Sinclair Lewis was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 11 August 1945 ?
- Brazil - Student�s Day, Lawyer�s Day, Foundation of the Law Studies in Brazil
- Zimbabwe - Heroes Day
- Taiwan - Valentine's Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Tiburtius
- St. Chromatius
- St. Equitius
- St. Gery/Gaugericus
- St. Susanna
- Daniel Beysens: French physics researcher.
- Salvatore Di Masi: American politician, he became Speaker of the Massachusetts State House of Representatives in l2004.
- Allies refuse Japan's surrender offer to retain Emperor Hirohito.
- WWII: The Allies reply to the Japanese surrender offer by saying that Emperor Hirohito will be subject to the authority of the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces.
- 25 ampndash Soviet troops complete occupation of Sakhalin.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1945 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- Good, Good, Good (That's You-That's You) - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Celebrate 11 August 1945 with a precious gift
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?