Thursday 13 December 1923
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius (see planets position on December 13, 1923). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Antoni Tàpies and Edmond van Deusen.
Slow as Lightning, directed by Grover Jones, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1923
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 13 December 1923
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1923!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1923 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
- Antoni Tàpies
- Edmond van Deusen
- Larry Doby: American baseball player and manager (d. 2003).
- Antoni Tapies: Spanish/Catalan painter, sculptor and art theorist, who became one of the most famous European artists of his generation.
- Edmond Van Deusen: British writer who served as the editor of a science magazine, as well as the author of "Contract Cohabitation" and "Astro-Genetics.
- Philip Anderson: American physicist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Og Mandino: Author.
- Edward Clancy: Australian cardinal (d. 2014).
- Frankie Fraser: English gangster (d. 2014).
- Terence Beckett: English businessman (d. 2013).
- Bob Barker: Actor.
- Fred van: der Spek; Dutch second chamber member (PSP).