Sunday 15 September 1940US date format: 9/15/1940, UK date format: 15/9/1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 15, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat).
Famous people born on this day include Merlin Olsen and Norman [Richard] Spinrad.
Kleider machen Leute, directed by Helmut Käutner, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 15 September 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1940!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1940 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Merlin Olsen: American athlete, pro football...
- Frank Linzy: Baseball player.
- Norman [Richard] Spinrad: United States -- Sci-fi author (Child of...
- Merlin Olsen in Utah: USA; NFL tackle (Los Angeles...
- Norman Spinrad: American science fiction author.
- Dick Ket: Dutch magic realistic painter, graphic...
- 3rd American Football League plays 1st game (Milw 14, Columbus 2)
- Chicago Tribune sponsors Ted Lyons Day (White Sox pitcher)
- Luftwaffe bombs Bristol Aeroplane Company
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill visits #11 Fighter Group
- World War II: The climax of the Battle of Britain, when the Royal Air Force shoots down large numbers of Luftwaffe aircraft.
Sport Games on 15 September 1940
- Brooklyn Dodgers - Washington Redskins : 17 - 24
- Chicago Cardinals - Detroit Lions : 0 - 0
- New York Giants - Pittsburgh Pirates : 10 - 10
- Philadelphia Eagles - Green Bay Packers : 20 - 27