Sunday 15 September 1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Frank Linzy and Norman [Richard] Spinrad.
City for Conquest, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1940!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1940 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Frank Linzy: Baseball player.
- Norman [Richard] Spinrad: United States -- Sci-fi author (Child of Fortune).
- Merlin Olsen in Utah: USA; NFL tackle (Los Angeles Rams)/sportscaster/actor (Father Murphy).
- Merlin Olsen: American athlete, pro football player,sports analyst and actor.
- Norman Spinrad: American science fiction author.
- Dick Ket: Dutch magic realistic painter, graphic artist and woodcutter, who probably suffered from the born with Tetralogy of Fallot with dextrocardia.
- 3rd American Football League plays 1st game (Milw 14, Columbus 2)
- Chicago Tribune sponsors Ted Lyons Day (White Sox pitcher)
- Luftwaffe bombs Bristol Aeroplane Company
- Prime Minister Winston Churchill visits #11 Fighter Group
- World War II: The climax of the Battle of Britain, when the Royal Air Force shoots down large numbers of Luftwaffe aircraft.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?