Tuesday 17 September 1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Lorella De Luca and Jan Eliasson.
Strike Up the Band, directed by Busby Berkeley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1940!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1940 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Lorella De Luca: Italian film, television, and voice actress.
- Jan Eliasson: Swedish politician and diplomat 4th Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- Sotiris Moustakas: Cypriot-Greek actor (d. 2007).
- Gilberto Parlotti: Italian motorcycle racer (d. 1972).
- Nazis deprive Jews of possessions
- September 18 ampndash WWII: in the Atlantic with the loss of 248 of the 406 on board, including child evacuees bound for Canada. This results in cancellation of the British Children's Overseas Reception Board's plan to relocate children overseas.