Monday 16 September 1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tony Binarelli and Earl Buchholz.
City for Conquest, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while Stars on the Sea by F. van Wyck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1940!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1940 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Tony Binarelli: Italian illusionist, television personality and actor.
- Earl Buchholz: American professional tennis player who was one of the game's top players in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- Hamiet Bluiett: American saxophonist and composer (World Saxophone Quartet).
- Dutch SS forms
- FDR signs Selective Training and Service Act (1st peacetime draft)
- Leo Durocher suspended from Ebbetts Field for inciting a riot
- Luftwaffe attacks center of London
- St. Louis Browns Johnny Lucadello is 2nd to HR from each side of plate
- Samuel T Rayburn of Texas elected speaker of the US House of Representatives.
- WWII: The Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 is signed into law by Franklin D. Roosevelt, creating the first peacetime draft in U.S. history.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?