Friday 15 September 1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 15, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Breyten Breytenbach and Subramanian Swamy.
Honeymoon in Bali, directed by Edward H. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 15 September 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 15 September 1939 ?
- Bulgaria - The first day of school.
- Japan - Respect for the Aged Day before 2003; beginning in 2003, Respect for the Aged Day is held on the third Monday of September.
- The United Kingdom - the British commemorate the Battle of Britain on the day of the last massive Luftwaffe attack in 1940.
- Also see September 15 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- RC Saints - Feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- Independence Day from Spain (1821) for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua, celebrated everywhere with marches from schoolchildren.
- In ancient Greece, the second day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the priests of Demeter declared the public start of the rites.
- In Slovakia - Holyday of the Seven sorrows of Virgin Maria
- Breyten Breytenbach: South African poet / painter.
- Subramanian Swamy: Indian economist academic and politician Indian Minister of Law and Justice.
- George Walden: English journalist and politician.
- WWII: Diverse elements of the German Wehrmacht surround Warsaw and demand its surrender. The Poles refuse and the siege begins in earnest.