Saturday 21 September 1940
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bernard Pagès and Sigrid Valdis.
City for Conquest, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingwa was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 September 1940!
Which were the important events of 21 September 1940 ?
- Mabon - Neopagan festival of Mabon
- International Day of Peace of the United Nations, as propagated by Peace One Day
- In ancient Greece, the eighth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the secret rites in the Telesterion finish and the feast, Pannychis, begins.
- Philippines - Thanksgiving Day
- Independence Day in Malta (1964), Belize (1981) & Armenia (1991)
- Also see September 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Matthew the Evangelist
- Bernard Pagès: French contemporary sculptor.
- Sigrid Valdis
- Joe Strawder
- Ron Fenton: English footballer coach and manager (d. 2013).
- Hermann Knoflacher: Austrian engineer and academic.
- Bill Kurtis: American journalist and producer.
- Bill Kurtis in Pensacola: Florida, USA; newscaster (The American Parade).
- Jerry Fosnow: American baseball player, a left-throwing/right-hitting pitcher with the Minnesota Twins in 1964 and 1965.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?