Sunday 1 September 1940US date format: 9/1/1940, UK date format: 1/9/1940
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 1, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Frédéric d'Allest and Annie Ernaux.
The Westerner, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 September 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1940!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1940 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Frédéric d'Allest
- Annie Ernaux
- Franco Bitossi
- Yaşar Büyükanıt: Turkish general.
- Stanislav Stepashkin: Russian boxer (d. 2013).
- Gen George Marshall sworn in as Chief of Staff of US army