Thursday 16 March 1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carlos Bilardo and Koos Van Den Akker.
Alexander Nevsky, directed by S. Eisenstein, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while Disputed Passage by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 March 1939!
Which were the important events of 16 March 1939 ?
- St. Urho's Day - the fictional patron saint of Finnish immigrants to the US, created by Richard Mattson in 1956
- Latvia - The controversial Latvia Legions are celebrated in Latvia, where about 140,000 men joined the Waffen SS National Legions during World War II, trying to defend Latvia. Since February 23, 2000, this day is no longer an official celebration day.
- Saint Heribert of Cologne (died 1021)
- Saint Eusebia (+680)
- Saint Benedicta (+1260)
- Saint Agapitus
- The first day of the Bacchanalia in ancient Rome
- Carlos Bilardo: Argentinian footballer and coach.
- Koos Van Den Akker: Dutch-American fashion designer (d. 2015).
- Germany occupies Czechoslovakia
- Hungary annexes republic of Karpato-Ukraine.
- NHL record ten goals in one period-New York Rangers (7), New York Americans (3) and a record 26 points in the third period.
- Marriage of Princess Fawzia of Egypt to Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran.
- From Prague Castle, Hitler proclaimed Bohemia and Moravia a German protectorate.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?