Thursday 16 March 1939
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces (see planets position on March 16, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carlos Bilardo and Koos Van Den Akker.
Bulldog Drummond's Secret Police, directed by James P. Hogan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 March 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 March 1939!
Which were the important events of 16 March 1939 ?
- St. Urho's Day - the fictional patron saint of Finnish immigrants to the US, created by Richard Mattson in 1956
- Latvia - The controversial Latvia Legions are celebrated in Latvia, where about 140,000 men joined the Waffen SS National Legions during World War II, trying to defend Latvia. Since February 23, 2000, this day is no longer an official celebration day.
- Saint Heribert of Cologne (died 1021)
- Saint Eusebia (+680)
- Saint Benedicta (+1260)
- Saint Agapitus
- The first day of the Bacchanalia in ancient Rome
- Carlos Bilardo: Argentinian footballer and coach.
- Koos Van Den Akker: Dutch-American fashion designer (d. 2015).
- Germany occupies Czechoslovakia
- Hungary annexes republic of Karpato-Ukraine.
- NHL record ten goals in one period-New York Rangers (7), New York Americans (3) and a record 26 points in the third period.
- Marriage of Princess Fawzia of Egypt to Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran.
- From Prague Castle, Hitler proclaimed Bohemia and Moravia a German protectorate.