Friday 17 March 1939, St. Patrick's DayUS date format: 3/17/1939, UK date format: 17/3/1939
It was Friday, under the sign of Pisces (see birth chart on March 17, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Giovanni Trapattoni and Robin Knox-Johnston.
La fin du jour, directed by Julien Duvivier, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 March 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Personalized book about You
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 1939!
Which were the important events of 17 March 1939 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
- Giovanni Trapattoni: Italian soccer player in the Italian...
- Robin Knox-Johnston: British adventurer, the first person...
- Tom Gompf: American swimmer, Olympic bronze medal...
- Paul Sauvage: France sport Champion.
- Jim Gary: American sculptor (d. 2006).
- Bill Graham: Canadian academic and politician 4th...
- Second Sino-Japanese War: Battle of Nanchang between the Kuomintang and Japan begins,
- British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain gives a speech in Birmingham, stating that Britain will oppose any effort at world domination on the part of Germany.