Monday 17 September 1900
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1900). The US president was William McKinley (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include John Willard Marriott and Ruth Gerry.
A Storm at Sea, directed by James H. White, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1900
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1900
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1900!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1900 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- John Willard Marriott: American hotelier (d. 1985).
- Ruth Gerry: American astrologer, listed as a pro in Boston in 1942, the year that she joined AFA.
- Hughie Critz: American baseball player (Born 1900).
- J Marriott: American businessman founded the Marriott Corporation (d. 1985).
- Commonwealth of Australia proclaimed
- Queen Victoria disbands British parliament
- Philippine-American War: Filipinos under Juan Cailles defeat Americans under Colonel Benjamin F. Cheatham at Mabitac.