Wednesday 17 September 1930
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1930). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Edgar Mitchell and Hamlaoui Mekachéra.
Whoopee!, directed by Thornton Freeland, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1930
On TV people were watching Betty Boop.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1930
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1930!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1930 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Edgar Mitchell: American astronaut who, through an Apollo flight, became the sixth man on the Moon on 1/31/1971.
- Hamlaoui Mekachéra
- Thomas P Stafford
- Tom Stafford
- Thomas P Stafford in Weatherford: Oklahoma, USA; US Air Force/astronaut (Gemini 6, Gemini 9, Apollo 10, Apollo 18).
- Thomas Stafford: American astronaut, the pilot of Gemini 6 on 12/15/1965, commander of Gemini 9 on 6/03/1966 and backup commander of Apollo 10 on 5/18/1969.
- David Huddleston: American actor.
- David Huddleston in Vinton: Virginia, USA; actor (How the West Was Won).
- Theo Loevendie: Dutch clarinet player and composer.
- Jim Rohn: American philosopher and author (d. 2009).
- Lalgudi Jayaraman: Indian violinist and composer (d. 2013).
- Dorothy Loudon: Cambridge, Massachusetts -- Actress / singer (Garry Moore Show).
- Edgar Dean Mitchell in Hereford: Texas, USA; Captain US Navy/astronaut (Apollo 14).
- Gwyn Francis: British Forestry commissioner.