Thursday April 23, 1908
US date format: 4/23/1908, UK date format: 23/4/1908
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus (see birth chart on April 23, 1908). The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was H. H. Asquith (Liberal), Pope Pius X was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Frederick Hawkins and Herbert Telley.
Long Distance Wireless Photography, directed by Georges Méliès, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of April 23, 1908?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- See more
- Denmark, Germany, England, France, Netherlands and Sweden signs North Sea accord.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 23, 1908?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Harry Macdonough - One Sweet Little girl
- Bob Roberts - I've Got a Tickling Sensation 'Round My Heart for You
- Billy Murray - I'm Looking for the Man That Wrote the Merry Widow Waltz