Friday 26 October 1956
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Rita Wilson and Stephen Gumley.
In UK A Woman In Love by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
Friendly Persuasion, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Profiles In Courage by John F. Kennedy was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Tales of the 77th Bengal Lancers.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 October 1956!
Which were the important events of 26 October 1956 ?
- Nauru - Angam Day
- Austria - National Day: Anniversary of the Declaration of Neutrality (1955)
- Also see October 26 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- St. Quadragesimus
- St. Rusticus
- St. Gibitrudis
- St. Fulk
- St. Eadfrid
- St. Demetrius (aka St. Dimitrios) of Thessaloniki
- St. Cuthbert
- St. Cedd
- St. Alfred the Great
- Roman festivals - first day of Ludi Victoriae Sullanae (until 1 November)
- R.C. Saints - October 26th is the feast day of the following Roman Catholic Saints: St. Bean
- St. Evaristus
- St. Lucian
- St. Albinus
- St. Rogatian
- Rita Wilson: American actress and wife of noted actor Tom Hanks.
- Stephen Gumley: Australian engineer and businessman.
- Walter Gieseking: French-German pianist and composer (d. 1956).
- Vietnam promulgates its constitution.
- Red Army troops invade Hungary.
- The ''Huntley-Brinkley Report'' debuts on NBC-TV.
- Suez Crisis: Israel invades the Sinai Peninsula and push Egyptian forces back toward the Suez Canal.
- Tangier Protocol: The international city Tangier is reintegrated into Morocco.
- A United States Navy team becomes the third group to reach the South Pole (arriving by air) and commences construction of the first permanent Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station.
- The States Reorganisation Act of India reforms the boundaries and names of Indian states. Two new states Kerala and Karnataka were formed.
- City Lights Books publishes ''Howl and Other Poems'' by Allen Ginsberg.
- The film ''Oklahoma!'' (1955), previously released to select cities in Todd-AO, now receives a national release in Cinemascope, since not all theatres are yet equipped for Todd-AO. To accomplish this, the film had to be actually shot twice, rather than printing one version in two different film processes as is done today.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1956 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?