Sunday 28 May 1911
It was Sunday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Pierre Lévy and Thora Hird.
The Infant at Snakeville, directed by Gilbert M. 'Broncho Billy' Anderson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1911
while Queed Henry by Sydnor Harrison was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 May 1911!
Which were the important events of 28 May 1911 ?
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Germain of Paris
- Republic Day in Azerbaijan and Armenia (both 1918).
- Bernard of Menthon
- Augustine of Canterbury
- William of Gellone
- Jean-Pierre Lévy: French head of one of the three major French resistance movements in World War II, Franc-Tireur.
- Thora Hird: English actress, who initially she made regular appearances in films, before gaining her highest profile in television comedy, notably the sitcoms Meet the Wife (1963–66), In Loving Memory (1979–86), Hallelujah! (1981-1984), and for nearly two decades in Last of the Summer Wine (1986–2003).
- Skeets Herfurt: American jazz musician, a sax and clarinet player, and singer.
- Jean-Pierre Levy: resistance leader, dies at age 85.
- Fritz Hochwälder: Austrian playwright (d. 1986).
- Lea Goldberg: A prolific Hebrew-language poet, author, playwright, literary translator, and comparative literary researcher.
- Fritz Hochwalder: Austrian playwright (d. 1986).
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1911 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- The Story of the Rose - John Barnes Wells
- To the Strains of That Wedding March (It's a Long, Long Walk) - Billy Murray
- Come, Josephine, in My Flying Machine - Harry Tally
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?