Tuesday 9 May 1911
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was William Howard Taft (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Harry Simeone .
Privatsekretæren, directed by August Blom, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1911
while The Prodigal Judge by Vaughan Kester was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1911 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Harry Simeone: Newark, New Jersey -- Choral director (Kate Smith Show).
- Fire breaks out at Empire Theater in Edinburgh Scotland.
- The works of Gabriele D'Annunzio placed by the Vatican in the Index of Forbidden Books.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1911 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Let Me Call You Sweetheart - Arthur Clough
- Think It Over, Mary - Byron G. Harlan
- Gems from The Pirates of Penzance - Victor Light Opera Co.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?