Friday 1 June 1956
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lisa Hartman in Houston and François Chérèque.
In UK No Other Love by Ronnie Hilton was in the top 5 hits.
The Great Locomotive Chase, directed by Francis Lyon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Rosemary Clooney Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 June 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 June 1956 ?
- Samoa - Independence Day 1962.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Carna.
- Children's Day in some countries.
- Commemoration of Justin Martyr (Anglican).
- Kenya Madaraka Day 1963.
- Tunisia - Constitution Day / Victory Day 1959.
- The Ascension in Eastern Christianity.
- Nirvana of Buddhists.
- Lisa Hartman in Houston: Texas, USA; singer/actress (Tabitha, Knots Landing).
- François Chérèque: French trade unionist, and former leader of the French trade union CFDT (French Democratic Confederation of Labour or Confédération française démocratique du travail).
- Robin Mattson: American soap opera actor who has appeared in the three TV series.
- Susan Wendlandt: German film producer, who, since 1992, is a partner in her father Horst Wendlandt’s Rialto Film company.
- Lisa Black: American actress and singer.
- Abdullah Çatlı: Turkish criminal (d. 1996)
- First international flight (to Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport - YUL) from the Atlanta Municipal Airport (ATL); now Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, and currently the world's busiest airport)
- Vyacheslav Molotov resigns as foreign minister of the Soviet Union he later becomes ambassador in Mongolia.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 June 1956
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?