Saturday 23 June 1956
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I'll Be Home by Pat Boone was in the top 5 hits.
The King and I, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 June 1956!
Which were the important events of 23 June 1956 ?
- J??i (L?go) - Latvia
- Saint Jonas Day - Lithuania
- The Happiest day of the year is June 23 according to a recent study completed by the Cardiff University in Cardiff, Wales (a part of the Russell Group of British universities). 
- National holiday - Luxembourg
- Midsummer's Eve, Christianized the eve of the feast of Saint John the Baptist, is celebrated in much of Northern Europe and the British Islands
- Victory Day - Estonia
- Father's Day - Poland
- Randy Jackson: American music producer.
- Daniel Institute: Mount Sinai Hospital Toronto.
- Tony Hill: American football player and sportscaster.
- Reinhold Gliere: Russian composer (Born 1875).
- Jimmy Durante Show, last airs on NBC-TV
- Transfusion by Nervous Norvous peaks at #8
- Gamal Abdel Nasser elected president of Egypt.
- MP Sydney Silverman's bill for the abolition of the death penalty in the UK passes the British House of Commons.
- Labour riots in Poznań, Poland, are crushed with heavy loss of life. Soviet troops fire at a crowd that protests high prices, killing 53.
- The film version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's ''The King and I'', starring Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner, is released only a few months after the film version of RH's ''Carousel''. It becomes the most financially successful film version of a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical up to that time, and the only one to win an acting Oscar (Yul Brynner wins Best Actor for his performance as the King of Siam). It is also one of two Rodgers and Hammerstein films to be nominated for Best Picture (which it
- Actress Marilyn Monroe marries playwright Arthur Miller.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the Federal Aid Highway Act, creating the Interstate Highway System
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?