Wednesday 6 December 2006
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to I Wanna Love You by Akon.
In UK Patience by Take That was in the top 5 hits.
The Good Shepherd, directed by Robert De Niro, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Cross by James Patterson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 December 2006!
Which were the important events of 6 December 2006 ?
- Spain - Constitution Day
- Belgium and the Netherlands celebrate Sinterklaas, a day on which a skinny version of Santa Claus gives the children oranges, candy and toys.
- Finland - Finland Independence Day (from Russia, 1917)
- Canada - National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
- Also see December 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Saint Nicholas
- William O'Hurley: American noted family, the first child for actor John O'Hurley and his wife Lisa.
- John Feeney: New Zealand documentary film-director (Born 1922).
- NASA reveals photographs taken by Mars Global Surveyor suggesting the presence of liquid water on Mars.
- Joseph Kabila, the first freely elected leader of the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 40 years, is inaugurated as President. (BBC)
- The Iraq Study Group Report calls the situation in Iraq ampquotgrave and deterioratingampquot and calls for a change in strategy including the removal of most United States troops by early 2008. (CNN)
- The Australian House of Representatives passes private members legislation allowing therapeutic cloning after a conscience vote. The Australian Senate had already approved the bill prepared by Senator Kay Patterson meaning that it will become law. (News Limited)
- The United States Senate confirms Robert Gates as the next United States Secretary of Defense by 95-2. Gates will be sworn in on December 18. (CNN)
- Philippe Douste-Blazy, the Foreign Minister of France, says that the United Nations Security Council will impose sanctions on Iran for its nuclear program. However, the five permanent members of the Security Council as well as Germany have failed to agree on what the sanctions should be. (AFP via Khaleej Times)
- 2006 Fijian coup d'état:
- Fijian military Commodore Frank Bainimarama, the leader of the coup, usurps Ratu Josefa Iloilo as President of Fiji. He promises to ask the Great Council of Chiefs to reappoint Iloilo to the office in one week's time. (The NZ Herald)
- Bainimarama appoints Jona Senilagakali as interim Prime Minister of Fiji. (Fiji Times)
- The Fijian military deports deposed Prime Minister of Fiji Laisenia Qarase to his home island in the remote Lau Group. The military has also arrested senior Government officials. (Sydney Morning Herald)
- The Fiji Times resumes publication after the military promises to refrain from further attempts at press censorship. (Fiji Times)
- The United Kingdom joins the United States, Australia and New Zealand in halting defence foreign aid. (Fiji Times)
- A large explosion occurs near downtown Milwaukee, killing 3, injuring 37 others and leveling a factory compound. (AP)
- Officials of the Islamic Courts Union in power in Bulo Burto, Somalia, declare that, under their interpretation of Sharia, all people in the city must pray five times a day, or they will be beheaded on sight. (Fox News)
- Hundreds of thousands of Dalits stage a mass rally in Mumbai to mark the 50th anniversary of the death of their leader, B. R. Ambedkar. (BBC)
- James Kim is found dead in Oregon after spending 11 days in the wilderness. (CNET)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 6 December 2006 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?