Monday 6 October 2008
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
The Wrestler, directed by Darren Aronofsky, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Brisingr by Christopher Paolini was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 October 2008!
Which were the important events of 6 October 2008 ?
- Judaism - Fast of Gedalia (2005)
- Egypt - National Day or Victory Day; celebrates the results of the October war in 1973
- U.S. - German-American Day observed since 1987; Mad Hatter Day
- French Republican Calendar - �ne (Donkey) Day, fifteenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Ireland - Ivy Day, formerly honoring the Irish revolutionary Padraig Pearse, commemmorates the death of Charles Stewart Parnell.
- Also see October 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Bruno, St Faith
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 06 October
- Another earthquake of magnitude 6.4, with two magnitude-5 aftershocks, hits Damxung, Tibet, People's Republic of China, with conflicting casualty reports anywhere from 9 to 30 deaths. (CNN)
- Nobel Prize:
- The 2008 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine goes to Harald zur Hausen of Germany for his discovery of the human papilloma viruses that can cause cervical cancer in women, and Françoise Barré-Sinoussi and Luc Montagnier of France for their discovery of human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV. (BBC News)
- Subprime mortgage crisis:
- The Dow Jones industrial average falls by as much as 800.06 points, its biggest intraday drop on record the Dow closed below the 10,000 mark for the first time since October 26, 2004. (MarketWatch)
- Speaking before a U.S. House Committee, Richard Fuld, CEO of failed Lehman Brothers says that he believed all his decisions ampquotwere both prudent and appropriateampquot given the information he had at the time. (New York Times)
- Significant losses are marked on stock exchanges world-wide: São Paulo Stock Exchange suspended trading after a 15 percent drop in its benchmark index. (Reuters)
- United States Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson announces that Neel Kashkari will be in charge of administering the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. (NASDAQ)
- 2008 Russian financial crisis:
- Nancy Kissel loses an appeal against her conviction of murdering her husband Robert Kissel in Hong Kong in 2003. (Bloomberg via ''Hong Kong Standard'')
- U.S. to rely on Russia for manned space flights between 2010 and 2015. (International Herald Tribune)
- Thousands of anti-government protesters march in Bangkok as People's Alliance for Democracy demand elected government step down. (Agence France Press)
- The 2008 Monorierdő train collision in Hungary leads to resignation of the transport minister and the president of Hungarian State Railways.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?