Wednesday 8 October 2008
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
The Wrestler, directed by Darren Aronofsky, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Brisingr by Christopher Paolini was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Investigation X.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bejeweled Twist or Boingz.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 2008!
Which were the important events of 8 October 2008 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 October
- Central banks around the world cut interest rates in unison for the first time ever. The coordinated rate cuts were made by financial policymakers in response to the global credit crisis. Central banks of the USA, China, Europe, Great Britain, Canada, Sweden, and Switzerland all cut their main lending rate by half a percentage point.
- 2008 Ukrainian political crisis:
- Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko dissolves Parliament and calls an early election. (Reuters)
- Former South African Defence Minister Mosiuoa Lekota says that it is ampquotinevitableampquot that South Africa's ruling African National Congress (ANC) will split. (BBC News)
- The United States embassy in Beirut seeks assistance in finding two US journalists missing in Lebanon. (CNN)
- Nobel Prize:
- The 2008 Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded Osamu Shimomura, Martin Chalfie, and Roger Y. Tsien for the discovery and development of the green fluorescent protein (GFP). (Nobel Foundation)
- Subprime mortgage crisis:
- The United States Federal Reserve Board cuts interest rates by half a percentage point to 1.5% as part of coordinated activity with the European Central Bank and other central banks. (''New York Times'')
- Ford Motor's Volvo subsidiary tripled the number of jobs it planned to cut to 6,000 positions, or 25 percent of its work force, citing a ampquotrapidly deterioratingampquot auto market. (CNN)
- 2008 Russian financial crisis:
- The RTS and MICEX stock exchanges halt trading until Friday after opening for just more than half an hour as prices plummeted in tune with the overall situation in the world's stock markets and falling oil prices. (Interfax via Onet.pl)
- Voters go to the polls in the Maldivian presidential election, the first democratic elections held in the Maldives, with six candidates including incumbent Maumoon Abdul Gayoom. (AFP)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 October 2008
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2008 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?