Sunday 9 May 1954
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Secret Love by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
Three Coins in the Fountain, directed by Jean Negulesco, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1954
while Not As A Stranger by Morton Thompson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1954 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Kathleen O'Toole: American female police commissioner, the first for Boston MA, O'Toole received her appointment to the post by the mayor on February 9, 2004, Boston has the oldest police force in the US.
- Lawrence Dutton: American viola player and educator (Emerson String Quartet).
- Balazs Taroczy: in Hungary; tennis star.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1954 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- The Happy Wanderer - Henri Rene & His Orchestra
- Crew-Cuts - Crazy 'Bout Ya Baby
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?