Tuesday 16 September 2008
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
Zack and Miri Make a Porno, directed by Kevin Smith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 2008!
Which were the important events of 16 September 2008 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 September
- Norman Whitfield: associated with the Temptations (Born 1940).
- The U.S. Federal Reserve Board announces the Federal Reserve Bank of New York will lend up to US$85 billion to the American International Group, and the U.S. government will receive a 79.9 percent equity interest in AIG.
- The U.S. House of Representatives passes legislation lifting a ban on offshore oil drilling, opening most of the U.S. coastline to exploration.
- Unrest in Bolivia:
- Governor of Pando Leopoldo Fernández is taken into custody by the armed forces, on charges of hiring hitmen to attack pro-government protesters. (BBC News)
- The United States organises at least two evacuation flights from Bolivia as the political situation worsens. (AP via Google News)
- Fighting in Somalia has killed 838 people since June, according to local rights activists, bringing the total to have died in an insurgency that began early last year to 9,474. (Reuters)
- 2008 Russian financial crisis:
- Russia's most liquid stock exchange MICEX and the dollar-denominated RTS suspend trade for one hour after the worst one-day fall in ten years as Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin reassured markets there was no ampquotsystemicampquot crisis. (Reuters)
- Subprime mortgage crisis
- Six men have been found guilty of terrorism-related offences in Melbourne, Australia. Abdul Nacer Benbrika was found guilty of intentionally directing the activities of a terrorist organization while five other men were found guilty of being members of the same organization. Four other men were acquitted and the jury is still considering its verdict on two men. (ABC News Australia)
- The United States government opens up a partnership with the Swedish municipality of Södertälje, a city of 80,000 that has received nearly 6,000 Iraqi refugees since the beginning of the Iraq war. (The Local)
- Ukraine's ruling coalition is formally dissolved after parties supporting Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, in alliance with the Party of Regions, pushed legislation limiting the powers of President Viktor Yushchenko resulting in his party's withdrawal from the coalition. Tymoshenko's party is expected to form an alliance with the Party of Regions or new elections will be held. (AFP via Google News)
- Viktor Yushchenko earlier accused pro-Western Yulia Tymoshenko of committing a high treason for not supporting Georgia during the 2008 South Ossetia war. (''The Telegraph'')
- The employees (not the members) of Oregon's largest teachers' union go on strike against the union itself. (OPB News)
- Malcolm Turnbull is elected as the new leader of the Federal Liberal Party of Australia and Leader of the Opposition following a leadership spill. (News Limited)
- The Republic of China adopts Hanyu Pinyin as its official Chinese romanization, switching from the previously-official Tongyong Pinyin. (China Post)
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?