Friday 21 August 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bud Schultz and Richard Zokol.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 21 August 1959 ?
- Ninoy Aquino Day - special holiday in the Philippines.
- Orthodox - Thaddaeus
- RC saints - Pope Pius X
- Roman festivals - Consualia, in honor of Consus, is held
- Bud Schultz: Meriden, Connecticut -- Tennis star.
- Richard Zokol: Kitimat, British Columbia -- Canadian Tour golfer (1982 BC Open).
- Jim McMahon NFL quarterback (Chicago Bears: San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles).
- Jim McMahon: American football quarterback with the Chicago Bears, known for a fast ball and a fast mouth.
- Pedrito Rogers: Spanish/american artist, painter, art gallery owner, noted family, son of artist carol hurd rogers; adopted son of artist peter rogers; father was spanish astrologer, married once, two children.
- Anne Hobbs: England, United Kingdom -- Tennis star
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs an executive order proclaiming Hawaii the 50th state of the union. Hawaii's admission is currently commemorated by Hawaii Admission Day
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 21 August 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Ricky Nelson - Just A Little Too Much
- Duane Eddy - Forty Miles Of Bad Road
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?