Friday 21 August 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 21 August 1959 ?
- Ninoy Aquino Day - special holiday in the Philippines.
- Orthodox - Thaddaeus
- RC saints - Pope Pius X
- Roman festivals - Consualia, in honor of Consus, is held
- Bud Schultz: Meriden, Connecticut -- Tennis star.
- Richard Zokol: Kitimat, British Columbia -- Canadian Tour golfer (1982 BC Open).
- Anne Hobbs: England, United Kingdom -- Tennis star.
- Pedrito Rogers: Spanish/american artist, painter, art gallery owner, noted family, son of artist carol hurd rogers; adopted son of artist peter rogers; father was spanish astrologer, married once, two children.
- Jim McMahon NFL quarterback (Chicago Bears: San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles).
- Jim McMahon: American football quarterback with the Chicago Bears, known for a fast ball and a fast mouth. His outrageous persona and trademark mirrored sunglasses delighted football fans and led to commercial pitchman jobs. Whether it was through his play or endorsements, he always conveyed a macho and hip image. He played college football for Brigham Young University from 1977 to 1981. In 1985, McMahon was named Professional Quarterback of the year. He led the Bears to a Super Bowl Victory in 1986. McMahon
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs an executive order proclaiming Hawaii the 50th state of the union. Hawaii's admission is currently commemorated by Hawaii Admission Day
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Ricky Nelson - Just A Little Too Much
- Duane Eddy - Forty Miles Of Bad Road
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?