Tuesday 24 December 1968, Christmas Eve
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Doyle Bramhall II and Kirt Ojala.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.
In UK Lily The Pink by The Scaffold was in the top 5 hits.
The Wrecking Crew, directed by Phil Karlson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Salzburg Connection by Helen MacInnes was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Borderers.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1968!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1968 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Doyle Bramhall II: American guitarist.
- Kirt Ojala: American baseball player, left-handed pitcher with the Florida Marlins.
- Marleen Renders: Belgian track and field star, ran 24th in the marathon at the Atlanta Olympics, 8/96.
- Doyle Bramhall: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Arc Angels).
- Choi Jin-sil: South Korean actress and model (d. 2008).
- Apollo 8 Astronauts read passages from Book of Genesis
- WATU (now WAGT) TV channel 26 in Augusta, Georgia (CBS) begins broadcasting
- The crew of the USS Pueblo is released by North Korea after being held for 11 months on suspicion of spying.
- Apollo Program: The crew of Apollo 8 enters into orbit around the Moon, becoming the first humans to do so. They performed 10 lunar orbits and broadcast live TV pictures that became the famous Christmas Eve Broadcast, one of the most watched programs in history.
- The Khmer Rouge is officially formed in Cambodia as a offshot movement of the Vietnam People's Army from North Vietnam to bring communism to the nation.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - Love Child
- Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
- Classics IV - Stormy
- Dion - Abraham, Martin And John
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
- Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love
- Bobby Vinton - I Love How You Love Me
- The Temptations - Cloud Nine
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?