Tuesday 24 December 1968
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.
In UK Lily The Pink by The Scaffold was in the top 5 hits.
The Wrecking Crew, directed by Phil Karlson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Salzburg Connection by Helen MacInnes was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1968!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1968 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Marleen Renders: Belgian track and field star, ran 24th in the marathon at the Atlanta Olympics, 8/96.
- Doyle Bramhall: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Arc Angels).
- Choi Jin-sil: South Korean actress and model (d. 2008).
- Doyle Bramhall II: American guitarist.
- Kirt Ojala: American baseball player, left-handed pitcher with the Florida Marlins.
- Apollo 8 Astronauts read passages from Book of Genesis
- WATU (now WAGT) TV channel 26 in Augusta, Georgia (CBS) begins broadcasting
- The crew of the USS Pueblo is released by North Korea after being held for 11 months on suspicion of spying.
- Apollo Program: The crew of Apollo 8 enters into orbit around the Moon, becoming the first humans to do so. They performed 10 lunar orbits and broadcast live TV pictures that became the famous Christmas Eve Broadcast, one of the most watched programs in history.
- The Khmer Rouge is officially formed in Cambodia as a offshot movement of the Vietnam People's Army from North Vietnam to bring communism to the nation.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
- Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
- The Temptations - Cloud Nine
- Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - Love Child
- Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
- Dion - Abraham, Martin And John
- Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love
- Classics IV - Stormy
- Bobby Vinton - I Love How You Love Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 24 December 1968 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?