Thursday 24 October 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
North West Mounted Police, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1940!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1940 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- F Murray Abraham: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -- Actor (Amadeus, Mad Man).
- Martin Campbell: New Zealand director and producer.
- Rafał Piszcz: Polish canoe racer (d. 2012).
- David Sainsbury: Baron Sainsbury of Turville English businessman and academic.
- Yossi Sarid: Israeli politician (d. 2015).
- Jean-Pierre Genet: French road bicycle racer, professional from 1964 to 1976. During this time he stayed with one cycling team, the Mercier team of Raymond Poulidor. He rode 13 editions of the Tour de France where he won three stages, once each in 1968, 1971 and 1974. He wore the maillot jaune for one day in the 1968 Tour de France. In 1967, Genet was the Lanterne rouge (last finishing cyclist) in the Tour de France. He died on 15 March 2005 in Loctudy.
- Victor Hollaender: Composer, dies at 74.
- Protestant churches protest against dismissal of Jew civil servants
- Japan eliminates US terms (strike, play ball) from baseball.
- 40 hour work week goes into effect in US (Fair Labor Standards of 1938).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Ferry Boat Serenade - Kay Kyser & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?