Wednesday 27 August 2008
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Disturbia by Rihanna.
Slumdog Millionaire, directed by Danny Boyle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 27 August 2008 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 27 August
- Mark Priestley: Australian actor (Born 1970).
- Alberto Gonzales announces his resignation as US attorney general as of September 17.
- At the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado, Illinois senator Barack Obama is nominated as Democratic presidential nominee.
- A flaw in the internet's Border Gateway Protocol that was described ten years ago now ampquotcan be used to invisibly eavesdrop on all traffic originating from a particular set of IP blocks.ampquot (Ars Technica)
- U.S. presidential election: Democratic National Convention
- Senator Barack Obama is formally selected by acclamation as the nominee of the Democratic Party. Senator Joe Biden is formally selected as the vice presidential Democratic nominee in the same manner by acclamation. (AP via Google News)
- As many as 71 illegal immigrants are feared drowned after their boat sinks in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Malta. (BBC News)
- The Dalai Lama cancels two international trips (Mexico Dominican Republic) to undergo medical tests due to ampquotexhaustionampquot. (AP via ''USA Today'')
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- David Cameron threw his weight behind international condemnation of Russia with a call for the suspension of European negotiations with the superpower. (''The Guardian'')
- Georgia PM: War damage is estimated at $1 billion. (Forbes)
- Georgia is minimizing the level of diplomatic co-operation with Russia, recalling all but two diplomats from Moscow. (Civil Georgia)
- Russia's MICEX Index fell to its lowest level since September 2006 on Tuesday after President Dmitry Medvedev's recognized South Ossetia's and Abkhazia's independence, and the ruble tumbled to a seven-month low against the U.S. dollar. (''Moscow Times'')
- British Foreign Secretary David Miliband warns Russia against starting a new Cold War. (Sky News)
- U.S. aid arrives in tense Georgia. (CNN)
- Hijackers of a Sudanese Boeing 737 free all 100 passengers at Kufra Airport in Libya but hold on to the flight crew. (AFP via Google News)
- Thousands of protesters storm the Thai Prime Minister's office and other government buildings, demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej. (Reuters)
- 22 are killed after Hurricane Gustav makes landfall over Haiti. (AP via Yahoo! News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?