Thursday 1 August 1929US date format: 8/1/1929, UK date format: 1/8/1929
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 1, 1929). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lynne Reid Banks and Bernard Kowalski.
Say It with Songs, directed by Lloyd Bacon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 August 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1929!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1929 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Lynne Reid Banks: Author.
- Bernard Kowalski: American film and television director, nominated for two Primetime Emmys.
- Hafizullah Amin: Afghan educator and politician Afghan Minister of Foreign Affairs (d. 1979).
- Ann Calvello: American roller derby racer (d. 2006).
- Syd Gregory: Australian cricketer and coach (d. 1929).