Friday 16 August 1929
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1929). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bill Evans and Joseph Scanlan.
Blackmail, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1929!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1929 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Bill Evans: US jazz pianist, dies of a bleeding ulcer at 51.
- Joseph Scanlan: American film maker of movies and TV, the director of "Rin Tin Tin," and of the series "Knot's Landing," working for Lorimar studios.
- Helmut Rahn: German footballer (d. 2003).
- Wyatt Tee Walker: American civil rights activist.
- Wyatt Walker: American pastor theologian and activist.
- Fritz Von Erich: American professional wrestler (d. 1997).
- Nevius Curtis: American accountant and CEO in charge of Delmarva Power and Light, a costly new plant that converts trash to power.
- Frank Valentine Van der Stucken: Composer, dies at 70.
- The 1929 Palestine riots break out in the British Mandate of Palestine between Arabs and Jews and continue until the end of the month. In total, 133 Jews and 116 Arabs are killed.