Thursday 29 August 1929
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Thom Gunn .
Hallelujah!, directed by King Vidor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
while The Bishop Murder Case by S. S. Van Dine was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1929!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1929 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Thom Gunn: English-American poet and academic (d. 2004).
- German airship Graf Zeppelin arrives back at Lakehurst, New Jersey, USA, completing a round-the-world flight.
- The 1929 Safed massacre, in which 18–20 Jews are killed by Palestinians in Safed.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?