Sunday 1 September 1929US date format: 9/1/1929, UK date format: 1/9/1929
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 1, 1929). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jacques Toja and Anne Ramsey.
St. Louis Blues, directed by Dudley Murphy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 September 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1929!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1929 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Jacques Toja: French comedian actor of stage, TV and film, performing over 130 various parts on stage; the creator of the "Fondation du Theatre" in 1984.
- Anne Ramsey: American actress (d. 1988).
- Kostas Paskalis: Greek actor and singer (d. 2007).
- Mava Thomas: American baseball player (d. 2013).