Thursday 8 August 1929US date format: 8/8/1929, UK date format: 8/8/1929
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 8, 1929). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Gudrun Burwitz and Ronnie Biggs.
Say It with Songs, directed by Lloyd Bacon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 August 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1929!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1929 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Gudrun Burwitz
- Ronnie Biggs: English thief, known for his role in the Great Train Robbery on 8 August 1963, for his escape from prison in 1965, for living as a fugitive for 36 years and for his various publicity stunts while in exile.
- Rose Nyland: Writer.
- Ronald Biggs: British criminal.
- Don Larsen: Athlete.
- Larisa Bogoraz: Russian linguist and activist (d. 2004).
- Stanislas Sobolack: France sport Champion.
- Josef Suk: Prague, Czechoslovakia -- Violinist (Artist of Merit-1977).
- 1st airship flight around Earth flying eastward begins
- German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight from Lakehurst, New Jersey, USA.
- Salem Oregon airport dedicated
- The German airship Graf Zeppelin begins a round-the-world flight.