Sunday 1 August 1943
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Geoff Britton and Jean-Pierre Divoire.
This Is the Army, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
while A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 August 1943!
Which were the important events of 1 August 1943 ?
- Orthodox Christianity - Procession of the Cross
- Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago - Emancipation Day
- St. Pellegrini/Peregrinus
- Angola - Armed Forces Day
- Switzerland - National Day
- Benin - National Day
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Kam�l (Perfection) - First day of the eighth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Sts. Faith, Hope, and Charity (sisters).
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Ethelwolf
- Yorkshire, United Kingdom - Yorkshire Day
- People's Republic of China - Anniversary of the Founding of the People's Liberation Army
- Lughnasadh - L� L�nasa, the traditional first day of Autumn in Ireland.
- Rastafari movement - Celebration of the liberation of Haile Selassie from slavery
- Nicaragua - Fiesta Day
- Lammas - Neopagan festival of Lammas
- Lebanon - Army's Day (Eid al-Jaysh)
- World Scout Day - anniversary of the first day of the Brownsea Island Camp in 1907, where Robert Baden-Powell began scouting.
- Democratic Republic of Congo - Parent's Day
- Geoff Britton: British pro drummer who has been a member of the following bands, "Earthband," "Gun," "East of Eden," "Wild Angels Wings," "Rough Diamond," "Raphael Ravenscroft" and "Key.
- Jean-Pierre Divoire: French serial rapist, called the Landru of sex.
- Dennis Paxton: Rocker (Dave Clark Five-Glad All Over).
- Japan declares Burma Independence under U Ba Maw
- Sunderland seaplanes sink U-454 and U-383
- Race riot in Harlem, New York City.
- 164 American B-24 bombers attack Ploesti, Romania. Due to several factors, some planes take a wrong course, alerting defences. 41 planes are lost during the attack, two collide on the return trip, eight land in Turkey, 23 land at Allied bases in the Mediterranean, and 90 return to Benghazi, many too damaged to fly again. Three hundred American airmen are killed during the operation.
- Operation Tidal Wave: 177 B-24 Liberator bombers from the U.S. Army Air Force bomb oil refineries at Ploieşti, Romania.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?