Friday 1 February 1918
It was Friday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Muriel Spark and Maurice Laing.
Go West, Young Man, directed by Harry Beaumont, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
while The Tree of Heaven by May Sinclair was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 February 1918!
Which were the important events of 1 February 1918 ?
- St. Brigid of Kildare - one of the three patron saints of Ireland, the others being St. Patrick and St. Columcille.
- In Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the fictional character Willy Wonka gives an unprecedented tour of his chocolate factory on February 1 (year unspecified).
- Blessed Reginald of Sint-Gillis
- The start of LGBT History Month in the United Kingdom.
- The start of Black History Month in the United States.
- Imbolc - the first day of Spring in Ireland (Irish Calendar), one of the eight solar holidays in the Wheel of the Year.
- St. Veridiana
- Muriel Spark: Scottish writer best known for "the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" which was made into a motion picture.
- Maurice Laing: life president (John Laing).
- Ignacy Tokarczuk: Polish archbishop (d. 2012).
- Russia adopts Gregorian calender (becomes February 14)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1918 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Life in a Trench in Belgium (Part 1) - Lieutenant Gitz Rice of the First Canadians & Henry Burr
- Somewhere in France is the Lily - Charles Hart
- I'm All Bound Round with the Mason-Dixon Line - Irving Kaufman
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?