Wednesday 1 September 1920
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Robert Jolibois and Hubert Lampo.
Way Down East, directed by D.W. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1920
while Mary-Marie by Eleanor H. Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 September 1920!
Which were the important events of 1 September 1920 ?
- Start of the season when oysters are fit to eat (when month names contain an "R")
- Uzbekistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the new liturgical year begins on September 1. Also see September 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics).
- Church of England - Saint Giles
- Cameroon - Jour d'Union Nationale Camerounaise
- Libya - Revolution Day (1969)
- Russia - Knowledge Day
- Singapore - Teacher's Day
- Start of the partridge-shooting season ("St.Partridge").
- Slovakia - Constitution Day
- Start of cold season.
- Start of new school year in many countries.
- Hubert Lampo: Flemish writer / essayist (Coming of Joachim Stiller).
- Robert Jolibois: Marseille physician.
- Liz Carpenter: American journalist author and activist (d. 2010).
- Eduardo Corso: Uruguayan lawyer and journalist (d. 2012).
- Richard Farnsworth: Los Angeles, California -- Actor (Misery, Havana, Sylvester).
- France creates Lebanon
- New townhall of Rotterdam opens
- The Fountain of Time opens as a tribute to the 100 years of peace between the United States and Great Britain following the Treaty of Ghent.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1920 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Sergei Rachmaninoff - Prelude in G Minor, Op 23, No. 5
- St. Louis Blues - Marion Harris
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?