Thursday 16 September 1920
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hannie [Jannetje J] Schaft and Franco Pandolfini.
Ginger Snaps, directed by firstlook, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1920
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 September 1920
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1920!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1920 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Franco Pandolfini: Italy -- Water polo (1948 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Hannie [Jannetje J] Schaft: "Girl with red hair".
- William Soles: American executive and CEO of Jefferson-Pilot, an insurance company.
- Sheila Quinn: Adviser (British Red Cross).
- Art Sansom: American cartoonist (d. 1991).
- Daniel Andersson: Swedish Poet / writer (Polar History), dies at 32.
- Bomb explosion in Wall Street, kills 30
- The Wall Street bombing: a bomb in a horse wagon explodes in front of the J. P. Morgan building in New York City : 38 are killed and 400 injured.