Monday 8 October 1928
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bill Maynard and Ray Stricklyn.
Show People, directed by King Vidor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 8 October 1928
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 1928!
Which were the important events of 8 October 1928 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
- Bill Maynard: English actor.
- Ray Stricklyn: American film actor, stage actor, television actor, soap opera star and publicist.
- Tom Tierney: American paper doll artist, credited with reviving the lost art of paper doll making during his career which stretched from the 1970s to his death on 12 July 2014.
- M Russell Ballard: American religious figure.
- M Ballard: American lieutenant and religious leader.
- Larry Semon: American actor director producer and screenwriter (d. 1928).
- Eastern Soccer League forms in US.
- Joseph Szigeti gives the first performance of Alfredo Casella's Violin Concerto.
- Chiang Kai-shek is named as Generalissimo (Chairman of the National Military Council) of the Nationalist Government of the Republic of China.