Monday 1 October 1928
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include George Peppard and Laurence Harvey.
The Fall of the House of Usher, directed by Jean Epstein, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 October 1928
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1928!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1928 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- George Peppard: American film and TV series actor who made a total of 25 films, famed for "Breakfast at Tiffany's," 1961 and the "Carpetbaggers," 1964.
- Laurence Harvey: Lithuanian-born actor.
- Sivaji Ganesan: Indian Tamil actor (Born 1927).
- George Peppard in Detroit: Michigan, USA; actor (Banacek, A-Team, Blue Max).
- Zhu Rongji: Chinese engineer and politician 5th Premier of the People's Republic of China.
- Willy Mairesse: Belgian race car driver (d. 1969).
- Laurence Harvey [Larushka Skine]: Actor (Alamo, Romeo & Juliet).
- Paavo Nurmi runs world record 15m (46:49.6)
- USSR launches its 1st 5 year plan
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average is expanded from 20 stocks to 30. A divisor is introduced to adjust for extraneous changes to a stock, such as a split. The initial divisor is 16.67. The index removes American Car & Foundry, American Locomotive, American Telephone & Telegraph, American Tobacco, Paramount Famous Lasky, United Drug, U.S. Rubber, and Western Union, and adds American Tobacco B, Atlantic Refining, Bethlehem Steel, Chrysler, General Railway Signal, Goodrich, International Nickel,
- The Soviet Union introduces its First Five-Year Plan.