Monday July 15, 1940
US date format: 7/15/1940, UK date format: 15/7/1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on July 15, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Wallis Annenberg and Ronald Gene Simmons.
Pride and Prejudice, directed by Robert Z. Leonard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of July 15, 1940?
- Saint Vladimir the Great's day (Eastern Orthodox; Roman Catholic)
- Confuflux (Discordianism)
- Saint Swithun's feast day (Anglican Church)
- Japan - Third day of Obon feast period
- See more
- Nazi occupiers seize library of IISG Amsterdam
- First betatron placed in operation, Urbana, Illinois, USA.
- U.S. politics: The Democratic Party begins its national convention in Chicago, and nominates Franklin D. Roosevelt for an unprecedented third term as president.
- WWII: Allied victory at the Battle of Cape Spada and five destroyers sink the Italian cruiser ''Bartolomeo Colleoni''.
- See more