Monday 15 July 1940
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ronald Gene Simmons and Wallis Annenberg.
All This, and Heaven Too, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while The Nazarene by Sholem Asch was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 July 1940!
Which were the important events of 15 July 1940 ?
- Saint Vladimir the Great's day (Eastern Orthodox; Roman Catholic)
- Confuflux (Discordianism)
- Saint Swithun's feast day (Anglican Church)
- Japan - Third day of Obon feast period
- Palermo, Sicily - Festival of Santa Rosalia
- Brunei - Birthday of the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam
- Botswana - President's Day
- Saint Donald's feast day
- Brazil - International Men's Day
- Ronald Gene Simmons: American mass-murderer (d. 1990).
- Wallis Annenberg: American noted family and the daughter of Walter H. Annenberg and Veronica Dunkelman.
- Denis Héroux: Canadian director and producer (d. 2015).
- Ronald Simmons: American sergeant and murderer (d. 1990).
- Robert Winston: English surgeon academic and politician.
- 1st betatron placed in operation, Urbana, Illinois
- Nazi occupiers seize library of IISG Amsterdam
- First betatron placed in operation, Urbana, Illinois, USA.
- U.S. politics: The Democratic Party begins its national convention in Chicago, and nominates Franklin D. Roosevelt for an unprecedented third term as president.
- WWII: Allied victory at the Battle of Cape Spada and five destroyers sink the Italian cruiser ''Bartolomeo Colleoni''.
- WWII: Adolf Hitler makes a peace appeal to Britain in an address to the Reichstag. Lord Halifax, the British foreign minister, flatly rejects peace terms in a broadcast reply on July 22.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?