Wednesday 3 July 1940
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Cesar Tovar and Heather Steel.
All This, and Heaven Too, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while Kitty Foyle by Christopher Morle was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 July 1940!
Which were the important events of 3 July 1940 ?
- National holiday in Belarus
- Feast day of Saint Thomas
- Start of the Dog Days
- Cesar Tovar: Venezuelan baseball player (d. 1994).
- Heather Steel: British judge.
- Lance Larson: United States -- 100m freestyle swimmer (1960 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Fontella Bass in Saint Louis: Missouri, USA; vocalist ("Rescue Me").
- Lamar Alexander: American politician, a Republican Senator from Tennessee.
- Michael Cole: American actor, popular during the years of his hit TV series, "Mod Squad," 1968-73. The police drama featured three "hip" undercover cops, one black (Clarence Williams III), one white (Michael Cole), one blonde (Peggy Lipton), and set the stage for groundbreaking TV.
- Danièle Giraudy: French Curator of Heritage, Curator of Georges Pompidou Centre from 1972 to 1981, and Director of the fifteen museums of Marseille from 1999 to 2005.
- Mario Zanin: Italian cyclist, winner of a Gold Medal at the Olympics Tokyo 1964.
- Fontella Bass: American singer-songwriter (d. 2012)
- Jerzy Buzek: Polish engineer and politician 9th Prime Minister of Poland
- César Tovar: Venezuelan baseball player (d. 1994)
- ARP-leader / ex-premier Colijn argues cooperation with Germany
- British Royal Navy sinks French fleet in North Africa
- German occupiers forbids using Dutch royal names
- World War II: the French fleet of the Atlantic based at Mers el Kebir, is bombarded by the British fleet, coming from Gibraltar, causing the loss of three battleships: Dunkerque, Provence and Bretagne. One thousand two hundred sailors perish.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?