Friday July 19, 1940
US date format: 7/19/1940, UK date format: 19/7/1940
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on July 19, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Winston Churchill (Conservative), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Dennis Cole and Terry Jennings (composer).
Pride and Prejudice, directed by Robert Z. Leonard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of July 19, 1940?
- According to sitcom Father Ted, previous events that occurred on July 19 included Galway being liberated by the Indians, Marathon was renamed Snickers and the Ice Age ended.
- St. Symmachus
- St. Machrina
- St. Arsenius
- See more
- Hitler orders Great Britain to surrenders
- Nazi occupiers imprison 231 prominent Dutch citizens in Buchenwald
- World War II: Battle of Cape Spada : The Royal Navy and the Regia Marina clash; the Italian light cruiser Bartolomeo Colleoni sinks, with 121 casualties.
- Samuel H Chang: American newspaper magnate, is murdered...