Thursday 11 July 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer (see planets position on July 11, 1940). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jacques Revaux and Rafael Martinez.
Boys of the City, directed by Joseph H. Lewis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 11 July 1940
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 1940!
Which were the important events of 11 July 1940 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
- Jacques Revaux: French songwriter most famous for his 1968 collaboration with singer Claude François on the song "Comme d'habitude" that singer-songwriter Paul Anka reworked into the English language as "My Way".
- Rafael Martinez: Horse trainer.
- Terry Patchett: Politician.
- Yvon Charbonneau: French Canadian union leader and politician.
- British and German dogfight above Lyme Bay
- World War II: Vichy France regime is formally established. Henri Philippe Petain becomes Prime Minister of France.