Wednesday 16 August 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carol Shelley and Wim Meijer.
The Wizard of Oz, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while Disputed Passage by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Percy Ponsonby.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1939 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Carol Shelley: London, England -- Actress (Gwendolyn Pidgeon-Odd Couple).
- Wim Meijer: Dutch MP (PvdA).
- Valeri V Ryumin cosmonaut (Soyuz 25: 32).
- Sir Trevor Mcdonald: Trinidadian-born British television newsreader.
- Sean Brady: Cardinal-Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland.
- Billy Shaver: American country western singer, a "new wave" singer-songwriter who rose to prominence in the mid-'30s. A part time poet, he set his sights on Nashville after hearing Waylon Jennings sing.
- John White: American author, editor, and teacher on metaphysical matters.
- Seán Brady: Irish cardinal
- Trevor McDonald: Trinidadian-English journalist and academic
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?