Wednesday 16 August 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Trevor McDonald and Billy Joe Shaver.
Range War, directed by Lesley Selander, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Major League Baseball on NBC.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1939 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Trevor McDonald: Trinidadian-English journalist and academic.
- Billy Joe Shaver
- Erick Friedman
- Sir Trevor Mcdonald: Trinidadian-born British television newsreader.
- Sean Brady: Cardinal-Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland.
- Carol Shelley: London, England -- Actress (Gwendolyn Pidgeon-Odd Couple).
- John White: American author, editor, and teacher on metaphysical matters.
- Seán Brady: Irish cardinal.
- Billy Shaver: American country western singer, a "new wave" singer-songwriter who rose to prominence in the mid-'30s.
- Wim Meijer: Dutch MP (PvdA).
- Valeri V Ryumin cosmonaut (Soyuz 25: 32).