Monday 16 August 1943
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sharon Baird and Richard Leigh.
The Seventh Victim, directed by Mark Robson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
while The Valley of Decision by Marcia Davenport was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1943!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1943 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Sharon Baird: American actress and tap dancer.
- Richard Leigh: American novelist and writer, lived most of his life in London, England.
- Woodrow Peoples: American football player.
- Woody Peoples: American football player (Born 1943).
- 1st Long Tom bombs on Italian mainland (from Sicily)
- Bulgarian Czar Boris III visits Adolf Hitler
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?